WHAT: Health Benefit Exchange Carrier Feedback Discussion
WHO: Exchange Carriers and HBE Staff
MEETING DATE: Monday, October 4th
The Virginia Health Benefit Exchange invites individuals designated from Exchange carriers to join us for a discussion around the Virginia Exchange’s transition to a state-based exchange (SBE). For our first meeting, we are including all designated individuals submitted in our August survey. Input from this group is critical as the HBE moves forward in its preparations.
Here are a few HBE updates relevant for discussion:
* The SCC applied for a State Exchange Modernization Grant from CMS in July. Notice of award was received on September 10, 2021, and Virginia, along with the other SBE-FPs, is eligible to receive up to $500,000 in grant funds. Summary of proposed grant activities:
1) analyzing eligibility and enrollment in the Virginia individual market to assist the HBE in predicting the expected impact of ARPA, the expected impact of the end of the public health emergency including movement of consumers from Medicaid to QHPs, and projecting related anticipated changes to premiums in the individual market in order to provide updated HBE revenue estimates;
2) design, develop, and implement consumer outreach, education, and marketing procedures and materials to include the implementation of new federal requirements; and
3) design, develop, and implement stakeholder, assister, and staff education and training to include the implementation of new federal requirements.
* The SCC issued a Request for Proposal – RFP SCC-21-017-HBE (attached) on August 27, 2021 for Advertising and Branding Services for the VA HBE. Proposals are due September 21, 2021.
* The SCC contracted on September 1, 2021, with Health Management Associates (HMA) for program management and consulting services for the HBE (RFP SCC-21-013-HBE attached).
* The SCC awarded grants for the Virginia Exchange Navigator Program Services on September 1, 2021 to the Virginia Poverty Law Center ($1,709,901) and BPSOS, Inc. ($400,000).
* The SCC intends to issue a Request for Proposal for the HBE’s technology platform, website, customer services center, and mailroom this fall. Requirements and SLAs are currently under review by HMA.
* The SCC has added several new staff members in support of the HBE: Mary McLaurin, HBE Attorney – Office of General Counsel; Toni Janoski, Deputy Director – HBE; Amy Mears, Sr. IT Program Manager – HBE; Whitney Thomas, Administrative Coordinator – HBE. The SCC has recently also hired a second Deputy Director and Sr. Policy Advisor for the HBE – both to be announced soon.
* The HBE Advisory Committee continues to meet on a quarterly basis to provide recommendations to the HBE. Meeting minutes and materials are found on the Exchange webpage. The next meeting is scheduled for October 28th at 1:00, and will be accessible at https://www.scc.virginia.gov/pages/Webcasting.
We ask that each carrier consider providing feedback or additional topics of interest in advance of this meeting. The agenda for this stakeholder session will be comprised of questions submitted by Exchange health and dental carriers. Please submit questions by September 28th so they can be included. We will prepare responses ahead as much as feasible. It is essential that we gain perspective and understanding around your concerns and learn from previous transition experiences you’ve had in other states.
We appreciate your submissions of contact information. Should your submission need amendment, please email the updates to ExchangeDivision@scc.virginia.gov.
Thank you for your time and guidance around this effort. As always, please reach out with any questions.
Toni H. Janoski
Deputy Director, Operations and Finance
State Corporation Commission – Health Benefit Exchange
Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer or mobile app
Click here to join the meeting
Or call in (audio only)
+1 804-299-5840,,273387594# United States, Richmond
Phone Conference ID: 273 387 594#
Find a local number | Reset PIN
Learn More | Meeting options