The Virginia Association of Health Plans (the “Association”), a 501(c)(6) corporation, was originally incorporated in 1985, as the Virginia Association of Health Maintenance Organizations. Prior to 1994 volunteers handled Association affairs, except for Legislative Counsel, which has been retained on an ongoing basis since 1985.
In June of 1994, members of the Association established the Board of Directors and Executive Committee, elected the first officers and hired a permanent Executive Director. During December 1994 the Association moved into its offices at 118 North 8th Street. In December 2006, the Association moved into its current offices at 1111 East Main Street, Suite 910, located 1 block from the Virginia General Assembly Building and a short walk from the Capitol.
In September 1998, the Association broadened its mission and changed its name to the Virginia Association of Health Plans. The 1998 General Assembly enacted legislation that gave the Commonwealth a new role in overseeing the quality of care furnished by all licensed carriers operating managed care health insurance plans. The name change would assist the Association with representation of its members in the evolving marketplace, where product offerings include a variety of managed care plans, including HMOs, PPOs and point-of-service (POS) plans. In addition, the name change more closely aligns the Association with its national counterpart, America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP).
With an expanded membership and mission, and a dedication to promoting choice for quality, affordable health care, the Association was ready to face the challenges of the new millennium.